Monday, August 16, 2010

It’s Never “Just an Eraser”

Upon examining past writings, I found this from my freshman year at Vanguard:

“The principle of functional fixedness was brought to my attention a few days ago. It states that people can become so hung up on the intended purpose of an object or situation that they fail to realize how else they can avail themselves of it. For example, my class was told to look at an eraser and come up with alternative uses for it. These uses included hollowing it out and using it as an ipod case, as a doorstop, etc. While some were odd, such as a makeup applicator, or impractical, such as a toothbrush, the point of getting out of our comfort zones and being resourceful was well-taken. It was not "just an eraser"; not quite in the same way that it is never "just the wind", but not an eraser in that things are not always as you first perceive them. With a little effort and thought and perhaps more time, new uses can be discovered for almost any situation or circumstance. So, don't despair--it's never 'just an eraser.' It's always something more.”

I often have the problem of not seeing what’s directly in front of me. Of missing the most obvious solutions.

So . . . maybe I should start viewing everything in my life as more than an eraser: feeling stressed about school? It’s more than an eraser! When I look at where I am now and where I want to be in a few years, I begin to wonder how the gap will ever be bridged and think . . . it’s more than an eraser! When I look at who I was 3 months ago and who I am now and I can scarcely see the resemblance---definitely not just an eraser.

And so God comforts me, putting me at peace once more.

I'll post about my camp summer soon: stay tuned, my 3-ish readers! :o)

No comments: