Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Puzzle

Despite being fully capable of performing such academic tasks as writing an in-depth literary analysis in Spanish, I was almost run over by a car in a parking lot because I got excited about my new Post-it note tabs. I didn’t even see it coming because of my all-consuming enthusiasm for office supplies. This worries me.

Whether I’m forgetting to turn off appliances or completely missing your point because you said something minor that caught my attention, I have become increasingly aware that while I do well in school, practical, everyday life is difficult for me.

Even the simple things, like remembering to watch where I’m going and not step on a lit candle, covering my foot, ankle, and shoes in hot dripping wax, take lots of effort for me to remember.

It’s quite confusing, really. On the one hand, I remember how to perform gel electrophoresis on sample DNA, determining its mutations and genetic code, yet I got the question wrong about what happens to sugar when you put it in water.

This has been a common theme throughout my life—I’m wondering why everyday mundane tasks become nearly insurmountable obstacles for me. I have to try so. hard. to remember to pay attention to where I’m going so I don’t run into people or things, or so I don’t get run over. To remember to look for things in obvious places first, so I don’t spend all day trying to find what’s been right in front of me all along.

But I want to be one of those people that can do daily things, one who remembers little details and doesn’t get so caught up in unusual tasks, such as my ongoing battle with a yarn sculpture/mass, that it seems a wonder she can get dressed in the mornings.

No comments: